In Karnatak, wearing masks, not sending children with symptoms to schools, adhering to COVID appropriate behaviour like social distancing, seven days home isolation and leave for infected patients, are among the measures that have been decided by the State government's cabinet sub-committee on coronavirus, amid a spike in cases and detection of JN.1 infections in the state.It has also decided to administer "precautionary vaccine" for the aged and those with comorbidities and to get 30,000 doses of Corbevax vaccine from the Centre for this purpose.''The guidelines are- everyone is advised to wear masks, especially those above 60 years of age and those with comorbidities compulsorily. Children, those with symptoms like cold, fever among other things should not be sent to school and remain at home under watch, also tested if required,'' Health Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao said.
Speaking to reporters after chairing the cabinet sub-committee meeting on COVID on Tuesday, he said, the government is not imposing any restrictions on New Year celebrations and gatherings, but there is a general advisory to wear masks at crowded places and observe COVID appropriate behaviour like social distancing, using disinfectants or hand wash.''Those infected with COVID should remain in home isolation for a week if not required to be hospitalised. All those who undergo home isolation and are working in government and non-government sectors should be given mandatory casual leave for a week, while those hospitalised should be given special leave for the hospitalisation period and guidelines will be issued on this,'' he added.The Minister reiterated there is no need for people to worry, but stressed the need to be cautious and take precautions.There is no restriction on movement of people, also no screening or testing of people at border areas as of now, he added.
The Karnataka Department of Health & Family Welfare Services on Monday said 34 cases of COVID-19's variant JN.1 have been detected in the state so far, which include three deaths.The WHO and Union Health Ministry have classified JN.1 as Variant of Interest (VoI) and not Variant of Concern (VoC), he said, but precautions should be taken. Admitting that though the state government had said 5,000 COVID tests per day will be conducted from Saturday.
(Dr Mysi Patil, State Correspondent)
Dr Mysi Patil




.jpg)
Related Items
Karnataka transport unions call indefinite bus strike from May 20
Karnataka Cong MLA Vinay Kulkarni disqualified after conviction
Karnataka Cabinet clears internal reservation formula for SCs