The Karnataka High Court on Thursday restrained students from wearing hijab or any religious attire till thematter is pending with court. The next hearing will take place on Monday. The full bench comprising Chief Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi, Justice Krishna S Dixit and Justice JM Khazi heard the matter after it was transferred to the larger bench. Before adjourning the matter, Chief Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi stated that colleges in Karnataka can reopen but no student can wear anything religious till the matter is pending before the court.
During the hearing, advocate Sanjay Hegde, while appearing for students claimed that the girls faced discrimination in their classes as they were made to stand out since December last year. The Advocate General while arguing for the Karnataka government said the regime wanted institutions, but schools and colleges can't start with one set of students wearing headscarves and another set wearing saffron shawls. Chief minister Basavaraj Bommai appealed to the outsiders not to disrupt peace and harmony in the state.
Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court refrained from issuing a date for hearing on a PIL seeking transfer of the case from the Karnataka high court. The top court said let the high court take a decision first. Protests took place in Delhi as the activists of Left student wing All India Students Association took to streets against the Karnataka government's Hijab ban order.
Dr Mysi Patil




.jpg)
Related Items
NEET paper leak: Delhi Court sends RCC owner to 9-day CBI custody
President approves Ordinance to increase Supreme Court Judges
Sensex fall 500 pts from day's high, Nifty below 23,700