Tension briefly flared in Jyotirmath town of Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district after a video showing namaz being offered inside an under-construction government building surfaced on social media, prompting objections from some local groups.Following the incident, the municipality on Thursday withdrew the verbal permission that had been granted for offering namaz at the site and locked the premises.
Jyotirmath Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Chandrashekhar Vashisht said the administration convened a meeting with members of both communities as a precautionary step to maintain peace and communal harmony.“As a preventive measure, a meeting was held with representatives of both sides. Police have been directed to keep a strict vigil on any elements that may attempt to disturb the atmosphere,” Vashisht told reporters.
Garhwal Commissioner Vinay Shankar Pandey said the situation has now subsided. He added that a memorandum submitted by certain Hindu organisations to the administration is being examined and appropriate action is being taken.
Uttarakhand | Garhwal Commissioner Vinay Shankar Pandey says that the dispute that arose in Jyotirmath, Chamoli district, following objections by Hindu organisations over the offering of namaz inside an under-construction building has now subsided. He says the memorandum…
— ANI (@ANI) February 20, 2026
Newsinc24 Team





Related Items
India, Brazil set bilateral trade target of over $20 billion in 5 years
India faces lower tariff rate of 10% after proclamation on new levies
India trade deal intact,Trump signs 10% global tariff after SC ruling